Monday, May 4, 2009

Monteriggioni


May 1 is a holiday in Italy so there is no school and most of the stores are closed. Rita offered to drive Daniela and I to Monteriggioni, a nearby citadel city. I had read about Monteriggioni and it was on my list of places to go, so I was really excited. In the morning we took Martina to the train station because she was done with classes and went back to Germany. While we were there, we bought train tickets for Florence. We had about two hours before leaving so I went for a run when we got back. It was beautiful!
We packed some snacks, water, and our cameras, and Rita drove us to the city at about noon. It is a very small city on a hill surrounded by big walls. There are only two streets in the whole city. For only € 1,50 you could walk around on top of the walls. The view from there was amazing. We walked around the walls, went into all of the little shops around the city, and hiked around the outside of the city. It was a lot of fun. Everything in the city is very small and very old. There are actually quite a few permanent residents there which kind of surprised me. The little city was very crowded with tourists and I can’t imagine living there.

1 comment:

  1. I love the picture. Those walls sound pretty awesome. There's something about walled cities that has always appealed to me.

    ReplyDelete